By Andy Wall
“I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” — Abraham Lincoln
“He didn’t realize that love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark.”
— J.K. Rowling
On this mother’s day, I am mindful of many gifts and blessings I received from my mom, Lois June Barnhart Wall, and am grateful as well for the many lessons she taught me.
- Preparing countless meals for our family and making our table a welcoming place.
- Showing me how to cook all things breakfast as well as how to prepare that most delectable of foods, the taco.
- Being able to tell if I was running a fever just by placing her cheek against my forehead and bringing me 7 Up when I was sick.
- Rubbing Vicks VapoRub on my chest and throat and placing a warm towel on it when I had a sore throat.
- Teaching me how to read music and play the piano, as well as (ahem!) encouraging me to practice more consistently.
- Seeing the good in people I thought were annoying.
- Modeling hospitality as a regular part of our family life.
- Refusing to speak evil of those with whom she disagreed.
- Writing me affirming notes when I was disheartened.
- Helping me learn that I can choose to enjoy doing things that I might not “feel like doing” such as going to encourage someone, working in the garden, or doing chores.
- Modeling a life of faith through joyful worship, Bible reading, and service to others.
- Allowing me to play football despite her misgivings.
- Having an infectious love for nature and passing it on to me.
- Being a safe and nurturing presence for me during my awkward phases.
- Delighting together in our cats and laughing at their playful antics.
- Crying together every Christmas at the same moment in “It’s a Wonderful Life.”
- Showing a remarkable graciousness to some very grumpy neighbors, eventually drawing them to faith in Christ.
- Refusing to take sides or play favorites in silly sibling squabbles.
- Honoring her parents, cherishing her sisters, and caring for her extended family.
- Faithfully loving my Dad.
- Modeling a saintly faith in the Lord coupled with humble service to others.
A happy Mother’s Day to all our moms. May God grant you today, whether in remembrance or in conversation, a grateful recounting of her gifts to you.